Rutgers Upward Bound & the Rutgers Upward Bound Math-Science programs encourages participants to explore career options, take advantage of all the resources offered, and to take an active role in preparing for the transition from becoming a successful high school student to a college graduate. The UB/UBMS Experience is meant to assist you in understanding how learning beyond the classroom relates to your place in the world.
The Upward Bound & Upward Bound Math-Science Experience
9th Grade Goals
Students discover their interests and begin the process of basic career exploration. Students are taught to plan short/long term goals and develop skills necessary to become successful hgh school students.
- Develop & Implement Note-Taking and Study Skills
- Work on Test-Taking and Time-Management Skills
- Develop a Four-Year High School Plan towards college admission
- Begin creating an Activities List/Resume
10th Grade Goals
Students begin to understand what to look for in a college or university and what admission counselors look for in an applicant.
- Analysis of the college application
- Understand how college admission officers evaluate applications
- Learn the language of exploring college possibilities
- Introduction of Financial Aid Process
11th Grade Goals
Students narrow down their college choices, and prepare supporting documents for the college application and scholarship search.
- Must take SAT Preparation Course
- Resume Development
- Narrow down College Choices
- Begin Financial Aid Planning
12th Grade Goals
Students complete a senior portfolio which includes:
- Personal Statement/supplemental writing assignment
- Top College Presentations
- College admissions applications
- Financial Aid appeal letter
- Scholarship applications
- Resume/Activity List
- Recommendation Letters Request Forms